Thursday, January 22, 2015

I've never understood why people like sonnets. Okay, well, I do. It's a traditional, structured form of poetry. It can be hard to learn and even harder to master, especially with that whole iambic pentameter business. I can't really get into all of the structure, whether it's the Italian or English sonnets. Whether it is 4-4-4-2 or 8-6, it doesn't really matter.To me, sonnets just seem very archaic. I've never been a huge fan of poetry to begin with (though I've grown to respect it, so I'm not entirely invested in the boring, old, dead white guys writing with impeccable rhyme and rhythm. I do, however, enjoy it when sonnets bend the rules. Sonnets also tend to have a very similar subject. In my experience, they tend to be slightly too wordy and about love, or the loss of love, or just complaining about something in general. I much prefer less structured, more modern poetry. Sonnets also remind me a lot of Shakespeare, and I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan either. So basically I'm just a whiny college student that finds older literature generally boring. I fully admit that.

No comments:

Post a Comment